martes, 8 de junio de 2010

A Blessing, by James Wright

Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
Darken with kindness.
They have come gladly out of the willows
To welcome my friend and me.
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
That we have come.
They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
There is no loneliness like theirs.
At home once more,
They begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
For she has walked over to me
And nuzzled my left hand.
She is black and white,
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
Suddenly I realize
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
Into blossom.

Una Bendición, de James Arlington Wright


Al lado de la carretera que va de Rochester, Minnesota,
el crepúsculo se balancea suave sobre la hierba
Y los ojos de aquellas jacas indias
se oscurecen de ternura.
Han salido gustosamente de los sauces
para darnos la bienvenida a mi amigo y a mí
Pasamos sobre la alambrada hasta el pasto
donde ellas han estado paciendo todo el día a solas.
Se curvan tensas; apenas pueden contener la alegría
de que hayamos venido.
Se inclinan tímidas como cisnes mojados. Se aman.
No hay soledad igual a la de ellas.
Sintiéndose una vez más en casa
mordisquean los jóvenes manojos de primavera.
Me gustaría coger a la más delgada en mis brazos
porque se ha acercado hasta mí
y me ha hociqueado la mano izquierda.
Es blanca y negra,
su crin le cae en desorden por la frente
y la suave brisa me incita a acariciarle la oreja grande
que es delicada como la piel de la muñeca de una muchacha.
De pronto me doy cuenta
De que si saliera de mi cuerpo estallaría
Floreciendo.

No hay comentarios: